Welcome to our first serving on #WS. And it’s on Joseph the carpenter, the earthly father of Jesus.
I was reading Matthew chapter 1 today and I just loved the lessons I learned from this man’s life. I hadn’t really given him much thought.
Mary the mother of Jesus had been promised in marriage to Joseph. I guess it’s like our modern day marriage introduction. The families had come to know themselves, drinks exchanged .. just waiting for the main general ceremony. And suddenly Mary was pregnant! I can just imagine the stories! I can also imagine how Mary felt, and how Joseph too felt. The emotions. The disappointments. Joseph decides to move on from the relationship , without shaming Mary.
And her [promised] husband Joseph, being a just and upright man and not willing to expose her publicly and to shame and disgrace her , decided to repudiate and dismiss (divorce) her quietly and secretly.
Joseph decided he won’t make drama over the scenario. He mulled over it .
But as he was thinking this over,behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him ina dream, saying, Joseph descendant of David, do not be afraid to take Mary as your wife, for that which is conceived in her is of (from, out of) the Holy Spirit
The angel went on to tell him more things about the child Mary was carrying and all he was to do. He gave him baby name also.
And Joseph’s response to this?
Then Joseph, being aroused from sleep, did as the angel of the Lord had commanded him: he took [her to his side as] his wife.
My lessons from Joe:
- He was a just and upright man
- Had a calm spirit. Though he might have had a right to make a show out of all that had happened, he chose not to.
- He was a loving spouse. They hadn’t finished all the marriage rights yet but he was already lovingly committed to Mary. I believe he truly loved her and didn’t want to put her through more stress and ridicule , that’s why he wanted to do it all secretly .
- He was a thoughtful man.
- He was an obedient man.
- He understood spiritual things and spiritual authority. The angel of the Lord came and gave him a message and instructions and he didn’t fight it. This would not have been that easy to do , yet he did !
- He was a patient man. Joseph took Mary to his side as wife but , didn’t have any union with her as husband until she had born her firstborn Son (vs 25). O di easy?! Joseph didn’t think to interfer with what the Holy Spirit had going for Mary . Though she was legally his wife , he understood the season. He understood Christian stewardship!!
Am tripping for this man! …..If you can’t tell already !
Prayer: Lord help me to be obedient to divine instructions . Help me be patient. Help me not to repay wrongdoing with wrongdoing. Teach me to love genuinely like you. Amen.
Hope you learnt something from Bro Joe .. And do you have more lessons for him … Do share.